HOW TO ORGANIZE AND PLAN YOUR MOVE WITH OUR TIPS AND TRICKS
We provide a comprehensive list to help you organize a pleasant and stress-free move. Our tips and tricks are the result of years of experience, both before and during the move. This list will make your move successful, and feel free to contact a member of our qualified team with over 15 years of experience to answer your questions. Properly organizing a move is the first step to ensure everything goes as expected.
- BEFORE YOU MOVE – once your move date is set
- Don’t forget to change your address with Canada Post, federal and provincial governments, electricity provider, family, friends, etc.
- Remember to change your address with the following service providers: cable service, electricity, and arrange for connection to the new address.
- Get rid of unnecessary items: there’s no need to pack things you no longer need. Donate, recycle, or discard them.
- Create a schedule of official booking dates: trucks, movers, friends, etc.
- Consider the elevator: fines are imposed in many residential buildings for unexpected moves.
- Have children? Register them at their new school.
- If you have pets, a move can be stressful for them, consider having them cared for on moving day.
- Prepare a box with essential items for the last and first night in a cardboard box, such as sheets, pillows, medications, and toiletries.
TIPS FOR PACKING YOUR BOXES AND SPECIAL ITEMS
- Our experience allows us to advise you on how to organize a move successfully.
- Consider using towels and washcloths to wrap fragile items.
- Tie up bulky items: curtain poles, brooms, blinds.
- Write on the side of the boxes what room they belong to – be precise and write clearly.
- Store the sets of screws for each piece of furniture you have disassembled in a container or bag and label them.
- Identify each wire such as cable, televisions, game consoles, stereo.
- Buy packing materials in advance and plan for extra to avoid running out of boxes at the last minute: 2 cubic foot and 4 cubic foot cardboard boxes, 3-inch gummed tape, white packing paper, labels, and a black pencil.
- You’re almost there; the big day has arrived. Here are some details to organize the final day of the move.
- Go through each room before leaving to make sure you don’t forget anything.
- Sweep or mop and take out the trash to help the new occupants.
- Make sure to move your most fragile items in your car instead of the moving truck.
- Prepare a box of essential items: toilet paper, paper towels, snacks, band-aids.
- Take care of your health! And hire professional movers.